Fireworks are the cause of serious burns, fires, and eye injuries, which is why many organizations such as National Fire Protection Association and the National Safety Council recommend people avoid consumer fireworks entirely and enjoy public displays of fireworks by the professionals. But if the purchase of legal consumer fireworks is offered where you live, below are helpful safety tips to keep you and your family, friends and pets safe:
- Know your local laws. Florida state law.
- Be mindful of weather conditions. If its incredibly windy postpone your fireworks until the next day. Sparks from strong winds can be pushed out of your safety perimeter and into neighboring houses, buildings, trees and grass, which can cause fires.
- Keep a fire extinguisher or water hose on hand for emergencies. It's a good idea to drop used sparklers in a bucket of water.
- Ignite fireworks in a large open area, away from cars and buildings to minimize contact with things that could catch fire.
- Wear safety glasses when shooting fireworks.
- When lighting the fuse of fireworks get moving as far away as you can. Don’t light fireworks in your hands.
- Do not drink alcohol. When drinking alcoholic beverages, you lose the ability to judge situations wisely and your reaction time slows down, also your coordination lessens. Sober is Safer.
- Something as small as a sparkler can cause significant burns. Sparklers can burn at about 2,000 degrees and just to distinguish the heat, glass melts at 900 degrees. This can cause a third-degree burn. Children can have a sever burn from dropping sparklers on their feet. Consider using alternatives, such as glow sticks, pinwheels or bubbles. Keep a close eye on children where people are lighting fireworks.
- Dispose of fireworks proper. Keep a bucket of water near by so you can douse all fireworks or sparklers. Never dispose of charred fireworks or sparklers in the trash, which can cause a fire from igniting and creating a safety issue. Its also a good idea to keep a fire extinguisher or hose nearby for extra safety.